Thursday, December 17, 2009

Weirdness

We didn't close on our home Tuesday. Instead, our paperwork got all tangled up, and for a couple of long, painfully long days, we weren't sure if the bank was going to approve us at all.

Sticklers.

After all the bailouts and headline news, I should have a more sophisticated approach to banking and bankers and banker's hours, but really, I can't help myself - all week I have imagined a bunch of old geezers, a la Mary Poppins, sitting around heavy, mahogany desks, complaining about shoes that pinch, and leaving our home-owning fate until just before lunch when everyone's grumpy, unfocused, and itchy to leave.

Don't worry though, today, Team-Poppins finally, once and for all, came around to seeing things our way - errr, their way - they decided to take lots and lots and lots and lots of money from us (swoon), and I'm not sure why that was not an easier decision on their part. Anyway, we close tomorrow! (Uhhh, we think)

And so today, I picked up the packing theme once again, and it's made me really stop to consider the weird things in my home. I thought that I'd go ahead and share some examples of the weird stuff I packed ... because weird is always interesting, don't you think so?


On the console table - Bobble-head Doll and Penguin Friend. 


On the coffee table - a bowl of coffee beans because they smell so yummy ... and because it's just plain fun to run fingers through them.

 
On the wall upstairs - this little Cuckoo bird is seriously off his nut and cannot be trusted to accurately coo the time - ever. But, I love him for that.


More often than not, slung onto some, out-of-the-way surface with battery ripped out, this is the fate of our really loud, super sensitive smoke detector. Proof that I try to cook.


I don't suppose that these two objects are really weird things exactly, but I purposefully keep my scale next to the toilet plunger as punishment.


Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are two of the greatest Hollywood stars ever (says us), but is it weird that we have them framed?

 
Neither Handsome nor I really like to eat walnuts, but I love to crack one open, stash it in one of the friendly, neighborhood, squirrel trees, and then search to find the empty shells the next day. I don't know why, but it's sooo very satisfying to find the shells stripped clean. Plus, an added boon (always, always be on the lookout for added boons) is that Bentley loves to chase squirrels, and I figure that if they are good and fat, he'll have a better chance of coming within five feet of one ... someday. But, I'm not holding my breath.
So, basically, I guess I'm saying that I decorate with squirrel food.


The weirdest thing we keep.

I suppose that I will fill our new home with the same stuff you see above -- eyes wide open and perfectly aware of the weirdness, but I want to fill this next home with even better stuff too. Stuff like hope and compassion and love and patience and contentment - I wonder in which corners or spots or walls these things will be seen or heard in our new home?

Will they be?

I hope so!

Yikes! I just splashed a little hope onto the carpet here. I'll have to be sure to pack that up tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment