Monday, December 21, 2009

Hooty-toot

Back in October, after I had sewn together that birthday buddy for my littlest nephew, my fingers were red and weeping, but I was overjoyed that Asa loved his stuffed friend.

It was the perfect end to an imperfect attempt, and I, happy and satisfied, swore to my sister that I would never EVER never sew again if I could help myself. I had done my best, but Big Mama, I am not ... not even close.

I swore (and I never do - it is not ladylike) to lay off the sewing for several reasons, the first of which is ... I can't sew a lick, and second, I am not crafty, and third, and possibly the biggest reason, I do not want to become that aunt. You know, the aunt who doesn't have children of her own, she's completely out of touch, and so she hand makes gifts for everyone. Itchy, kitschy, funky, weirdo gifts that no one really wants or needs.

But something happened.













 
Meet Hooty-toot.   
He's supposed to be an owl.

 Hooty-toot is the result of several factors. The perfect storm of life circumstances, you might say.

You see, my mama's birthday is smack-dab in the middle of December, and it's very difficult for a birthday to complete with the other big, special days in this month.

So, I wanted her birthday gift to be special - to be out of the ordinary - and this owl creature is what came to mind. Special gift = strange, blue, owl creature - of course! It's so obvious!

Handsome picked the materials.

Combine the fact that I wanted mama to have a special gift with all the nervous energy involved with the home buying or not buying, moving or not moving, packing or not packing, signing, dating, waiting, still not closing craziness, and working on Hooty-toot became a wonderful distraction.

We still have not closed on the house yet, by the way.
"Maybe Wednesday?" - says the bank.
"Maybe Wednesday?" - says the escrow company.
"Groan" - says me.

Regardless, here he is - hand stitched just for you, dearest mama.

Here is also the reason that I did Christmas shopping for everybody else at the "Gift Card Mall" at the local grocery store. No joke.

Sorry everybody else. 

An owl because mama is Owsley - and that is sorta the same.

She sent me these pics after opening her birthday gift.
Tee-hee.

Mama and Hooty-toot, together at last.

Asa and his buddy - see the resemblance?

It's too fun, and I can't help myself. I might have to be that auntie after all.

5 comments:

  1. You are soooo cute!!! I love the pics of Hooty-Toot!!! He looks so handsome! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your creations!!! I hope you guys are having a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoot & I watched a movie together last night. Oh, Dad was there too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Amy,

    Oh my goodness how wonderfully cute (and I mean that in the most beautiul and truthful sense NOT in a patronizing sense) of the word! Pure sweetness of your soul coming out into things you created!

    Do you know that as a little girl, one of my best friends (Tim Hoekstra) gave me a stuffed animal...an owl...do you know what his name was????
    YES! OWSLEY!!! :) I kid you not!

    ReplyDelete