Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Smoke

Today, as I was walking into the library, I saw this...
















Here it is again -- be sure to notice the sign...
















Isn't that too funny!? It's the "Designated Smoking Area" doing exactly what it was designed to do ... smoking! All by itself. There was no one around but me and a few other baffled looking folks sharing quizzical glances and shrugs that read, "Your guess is as good as mine."

I decided to take a picture or two because I thought it was kinda funny. 

I thought it was funny, that is, until a cross librarian approached me and said, "Did you do that? Are you doing some sort of film experiment?"

WHO ME?!

It had not even occurred to me I that might appear to be enjoying the display a little too much. With good reason, Southern California people take fire VERY seriously. Me too. But the smoke just seemed so contained. I did not even think DANGER. I just sorta reacted with a, "Oh! HA! Isn't that odd and silly and something you don't usually see in a day?!"

Always think! Always think! From now on, that's my motto.

Librarians tend to be very stern officials, don't they? Like British Nannies or Military Drill Instructors. I did not take her picture. I proclaimed my innocence - how dare she accuse me! I lifted my proud chin high ... and then I ran away.

To a safer distance, at least. I felt like a little monkey hiding in a tree when I took this picture.
















The good ol' Burbank fire department showed up but there wasn't much left to see. I was just glad that the librarian "telling on" the smoking thing instead of pointing in my direction.

Whew! And I thought going to the library would be mundane.

Will I ever be brave enough to return those books?

2 comments:

  1. You are a super blog writer! I enjoyed the humor in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this one. Very observant of you!

    ReplyDelete