Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Autumn

How I LOVE harvest time! Don't you? Of course, it's supposed to be upwards of a hundred degrees here in the L.A. area over the weekend, but that is okay. We are just not gonna dwell on the rotten heat too much because Fall is finally here!

Time to dig out your scarves and boots, to tromp through pumpkin patches, to start listening for the crunch of leaves under your feet, to wrap up in something soft and sherpa-lined, to pour a cup of something warm and freshly brewed, and then add cream... lots of cream.

"Don't you love New York in the fall? 
It makes me wanna buy school supplies. 
I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils 
if I knew your name and address. 
On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms." 
- Joe Fox (Tom Hanks), You've Got Mail  

One of the best chick-flicks ever, right? I always get a hankering to watch it again and again around this time of year. It is such a sweet love story, and then, the art/design direction of the whole movie gives the audience such a strong sense of the seasons and an idealistic passage of time. I get swept away, and I can almost smell the newly sharpened pencils, can't you? And when Kathleen decides to hang more twinkle lights, don't you just want to join her?

Living in Southern California certainly has its perks - the beach, the sand, the sun, etc., but owing to the fact that we do not experience drastic seasonal changes, it is sometimes a bit hard to mark the passage of time. I mean, most of us Californians wear flip-flops year round and it is a beautiful thing, but the months do sometimes manage to slip by quite quickly and without a sound. It is a very unsettling thing to wake up one morning to find that you have misplaced half the year and didn't notice it pass.

All that to say, it is a new day - a fresh season, and I have decided to redouble my efforts here at home in order to help us mark the passage of time. How? By decorating according to the season, of course. Maybe this will help give us some visual cues, what do you think?

The tricky thing is that ...well, I don't want to start collecting junk. You know, no polyester windsocks or seasonal pillows or anything like that ... or, well, maybe just one or two. 

Junk is so subjective, isn't it? 

Anyway, I may have already got a good start on it. Here is where I have begun...

Aren't they cute? Aren't they fitting for Fall? I purchased the pair of them at Pier One for only $5 bucks -- Hurry! Hurry! Go get some!
Hoot! Hoot! Please take us home with you! Hoot!

Chubby chubby - I am loving them up, these chubby owls!

This adorable plate must have heard about the party and showed up at my door a few days ago. Actually, if I had but one wish for you, I would wish that you had a lovely, generous neighbor too.

And then these dears swooped in by way of my mama.
Oh my, oh dear! I do believe that all of the sudden, I am collecting something!

Problem - I just love these little hoots so much, they are gonna be sitting in my kitchen forever regardless of the season.

So much for the passage of time - starting today, I do hereby declare, it is going to be Fall at our house year round - Yay!

I know, I know. I hear you. I will be maybe probably sorta ready for Spring by the time it rolls around too - maybe, I suppose.

But, for today, let's wallow in the bounty and smells and chill of harvest time.

In fact, let's meet up at the pumpkin patch! After all, making memories with friends is an even better way to mark the passage of time, don't you think so too?

Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment